1319 Archdale Drive
Charlotte, NC 28217

704-552-2333

History of Our Animal Hospital in Charlotte NC

Dr. John H. Barton and his partner, Dr. Charles Francis, opened their second veterinary hospital, Barton-Francis Veterinary Clinic, at this location. Dr. Barton was a native of Charlotte and returned here to practice after graduating from Oklahoma State University Veterinary School and serving two years in the Army Veterinary Corps. Eventually, Dr. Barton took over the Archdale Dr. location and renamed the practice Archdale Animal Hospital.

Under Dr. Barton's leadership, Archdale Animal Hospital became an accredited member of the American Animal Hospital Association (AAHA). To become a member, a hospital must be inspected by AAHA and meet hundreds of standards in the areas of medical, surgical, and dental care, diagnostics, medical records and safety. Our practice continues to maintain our AAHA accredited status, just passing our 25th year milestone.

Dr. Barton's son-in-law, Dr. Barry George joins the practice after graduating from NC State College of Veterinary Medicine. He had worked at the practice while in school and liked the practice philosophy and style. After being mentored by Dr. Barton for four years, Dr. George and his partner bought the practice when Dr. Barton retired in 1994.

Dr. George bought out his partner and became the sole owner and practitioner. He has been able to carry on Dr. Barton's mission of providing quality medical care to his patients and developing long standing relationships with his clients. Our next milestone will be in June of 2015 when Dr. George's son (Dr. Barton's grandson), Matthew, will join the practice as the third generation of veterinarians in the family to practice here. Matthew is currently at NC State College of Veterinary Medicine.